Monday, October 1, 2007

Dinner adventures with the Gammons

Have you ever had a night like mine tonight?

I decided against going to the grocery store tonight and decided to get creative with what I had in the fridge. I turned the oven on and mixed everything together and popped it into the oven. I decided I had just enough time to feed Lindsay and pick up some of the mess Allison had made before my casserole was done.

I fed Lindsay and then put her down on the couch, intending to come back after grabbing something from the kitchen. I was distracted from my quest, however, by the smoke billowing from the oven. I opened the oven door, pulled the casserole out, and then tried to open all the doors and windows to prevent the smoke alarm from going off. I was not quick enough.

Meanwhile, Allison decided that it was time to go potty. She kept tugging on my leg saying, "Mommy, potty. Potty, mommy! MOMMY, POTTY!"

Just when I thought it couldn't get worse, I heard a thump followed by a wail from the other room. Lindsay apparently decided that it would be an appropriate time to learn how to roll over. She doesn't have very good timing.

Eventually, I got everything and everyone calmed down. I scraped the blackened breadcrumbs off the top of my casserole. I fiddled with the oven long enough to realize that when I set it on bake, it turns on the broil setting instead. I guess I'm going to have to find someone who fixes ovens.

Sometimes making dinner is an adventure.

6 comments:

Leslie said...

Oh stink! I'm so sorry! Yes, indeed, I can relate. Sometimes we try to juggle so many things at the same time, it's no wonder sometimes we drop things. (No reference to Lindsay ;))

You are a great mom and a great cook. This will be funnier next week!

Papa D said...

Oh, stink? I haven't heard that one. I like it. Quintessentially Mormon.

Jamie, I have to say that your adventure beats all of our dinner stories. I bow in amazement that you still have the same number of kids as you did when it all started.

Louann and Bari said...

Now, just think a moment, what if you HAD gone to the grocery- the girls crying/fighting/irritable/a distraction at least. Waiting through the lines just to get home and discover that you forgot something---THEN have the rest of the story. See? Live IS good.
Well, you are a fabulous mom and wife, my hats off to you young mom's. You continue to be great examples of faith and obedience to us (old)mom's.

heather said...

I just had this happen but with brownies. Amongst the chaos and being pulled in 10 directions I switched the amount of oil and water. You wouldn't think you could mess up brownies ,with there just being 3 ingredients, but I did and ended up with what looked like a big brownie sponge.

Mama D said...

Oh, isn't life grand?! I tell myself (okay, usually it's Ray telling me!) that I need to make it through through these moments so I can truly appreciate the good ones that come along!

Look at it this way: Dinner tonight HAS to be easier, right?! The only way to go is up...

Corrie- said...

We've had our share of adventure too, with no little ones around! At one point in my life I actually shoved a whole cake into our garbage disposal. I felt much better after that. Hope your day is better tomorrow!